Sexual Abuse Lawyers
Our successful case results from the past decade reflect the substantial amount of resources that our firm devotes to helping survivors of childhood sexual abuse. In 2012 alone, we obtained the following results for our clients:
- A $8 million jury verdict against the Catholic Church, which we believe is the largest verdict of its kind in Washington history,
- A $1.45 million jury verdict against the Olympia School District, and,
- A $2.35 million settlement with the State of Washington.
Over the past decade, we have recovered tens of millions of dollars for survivors of child sexual abuse in Washington and across the country, including some of the largest settlements and verdicts in this area of the law:
- $14.15 million for 24 former students at Briscoe Memorial School, a Catholic school and orphanage in Seattle against the Seattle Archdiocese and Christian Brothers.
- Approximately $30 million in settlements for victims of childhood sexual abuse perpetrated by the employees of religious institutions.
- $4.2 million for sexual abuse perpetrated by a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the Mormon Church).
- $1.4 million for a survivor of childhood sexual abuse by a Christian Brother employed as a principal at a Catholic grade school in Seattle. This is believed to be the largest single-victim, Catholic clergy settlement against the Archdiocese of Seattle.
The partners that lead our sexual abuse team, Michael T. Pfau, Darrell L. Cochran, and Jason P. Amala, have obtained these favorable results because we dedicate the talent and resources that are necessary to prosecute the large and powerful institutions that are often responsible for the abuse of children. From our Seattle and Tacoma offices, we have successfully represented survivors of childhood sexual abuse in cases against the Seattle Archdiocese, the Spokane Diocese, the Jesuits, the Congregation of Christian Brothers, the Mormon Church, the Boy Scouts of America, the State of Washington and other institutions in Washington and throughout the country. While we have most likely represented more survivors of child abuse than any other firm in Washington, we often work with high caliber lawyers to prosecute sex abuse claims in other states.
If you or someone you love survived sexual abuse as a child, it is important that you learn your options because the law in Washington and many other states has evolved to provide greater protections for abuse survivors. Any contact with our office is considered strictly confidential, and we pride ourselves on counseling our clients on all of their options, not just their legal options. Please contact Michael, Darrell, or Jason if you think we can help you.