Kevin M. Hastings is a tenacious and talented attorney who has dedicated his life to helping those injured by the wrongful acts of others. Born and raised in a family of commercial fisherman, Kevin was inspired to become a lawyer when his uncle suffered catastrophic injury while fishing in the Bering Sea. His uncle’s injury has shaped many aspects of Kevin’s life, but perhaps most importantly, it has inspired him to fight tirelessly for his clients in the toughest of cases each and every day.
Kevin is a northwest native and currently lives in Tacoma. After graduating cum laude from Seattle University School of law, Kevin began his legal career as a judicial law clerk for Judge C.C. Bridgewater and Judge Jill Johanson at the Washington State Court of Appeals, Division II. Through his work at the court, Kevin gained valuable insight into the appellate process and honed fundamental lawyering skills. When his two-year clerkship ended, Kevin proudly joined PCVA and immediately began working for those who have been inured from the wrongful acts of others.
Since joining PCVA, Kevin has focused his practice on government liability, class actions, bad faith insurance law, wrongful death, civil rights, and catastrophic personal injury. He works in PCVA’s Tacoma office, but his practice extends into several Washington counties and federal court. Kevin works closely with Darrell Cochran, and together they have obtained several important results, including a recent $1.45 million dollar verdict against the Olympia School District in 2012. Kevin also fights for open government in a side practice that focuses on Washington’s Public Records Act, and he has a significant appellate practice where he uses his specialized skill set from his clerkship days to help shape Washington law for future clients.
Kevin is a member of the William Dwyer Inns of Court and the Robert J. Brian Inns of Court, organizations that are both committed to improving the skills, professionalism, and ethics of the legal profession. He also supports his alma matter by regularly sitting as a judge for Seattle University School of Law’s mock trial competitions. In his spare time, Kevin enjoys snowboarding, hunting big game, and back-country hiking.
- Seattle University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2009
- University of Washington, B.A., 2005
- Washington State
- U.S. District Court – Western District
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Washington State Association for Justice
- William Dwyer American Inns of Court, King County, Washington
- Robert J. Bryan American Inns of Court, Pierce County, Washington
- Tacoma-Pierce County Young Lawyers
- Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Assn.
- Seattle-King County Bar Assn.
- CALI Award in Legal Writing
- Selected as “Rising Star” by Washington Law and Politics, 2013-2014
- Judge at Seattle University Mock Trials